Land Purchase: complete
The paperwork is finished. I have land.
Nervous? Sure. I wonder if I’m too far from the city, if I’ll find a job there, if it will be too much work, whether I want a house or just my portable cabin, if there are any hidden regulations, how much this project will cost.
Happy? Yes! I think about chickens and a huge garden and ways to live semi-off-grid. I remember that this house will be exactly what I want and should be low maintenance even into my 80s or 90s. My retirement home, my way of retiring early-not in order to quit working but in order to do the work I want instead of what I have to in order to make ends meet. I’m thrilled to be closer to family, to know that my Dad and I can work together on this project and maybe regain some of the distance I’ve felt growing between us as I matured and he aged, to think of the extra time I’ll be able to spend with nieces and nephews, of the things they can learn on two acres that they wouldn’t learn in the city. And the things I will learn the same way.
And so I’m slightly off balance, slightly nervous but happy as well. It should be a good purchase even if I need to sell later. The land and septic should be worth nearly twice what I paid. I woke up thinking about it and realizing that the half-burned house that’s there won’t be salvageable-the water would have dripped or poured into the place where the roof burned, dripping down the rafters and down into the walls, even the walls furthest from the burns at this point. That was a sad realization. At the same time, the foundation may still be salvageable, at least in part. I need to go out with a foundation expert to discuss that possibility. And I may need to removed the burned building first, before anything can be decided on the foundation.
I want to be there to see what’s happening, to grab a shovel and a hammer and get to work, to discover what I can save and to remove what I can’t. Not being able to do that is frustrating, but I need to finish this job before I move out there. Besides, at this point they’ve had nearly two inches of rain. It’s not like I can do much at this point anyway. I’ll have to wait a month or two, it seems, and see.